Frederic school board upholds Belanger separation

Longtime Frederic head football coach Ken Belanger congratulates Bill Struck for his volunteer service before Frederic's homecoming game this past fall - Photo by Marty Seeger

Public petition for reinstatement presented at meeting

Gregg Westigard | Staff writer

FREDERIC – The Frederic school board sustained it’s non-renewal of football coach Ken Belanger’s contract during a closed session of the board Wednesday night, Jan. 10. The action came after the board heard an appeal for the coach’s reinstatement during the comment section of the monthly school board meeting. About 40 members of the public were present at the meeting and about a dozen people, students, parents and community members, spoke about Belanger’s qualities as a coach and mentor.

The meeting started with school board president Chuck Holicky saying that the board members wanted to hear the thoughts and ideas about the board’s non-extension of Belanger’s contract. He said that the board would listen to the comments but could not respond to them.

At the start of the comment period a student presented a petition with 252 names calling for the reinstatement. That petition had gone on line December 30 after Belanger had been notified that he would no longer be the Frederic football coach.

After the public presentations, Holicky said that the board could not discuss personnel matters but would consider the comments during its closed session and make a statement after that session. A number of people stayed at the school until that closed session ended to hear the board’s decision.

More on the story in next week’s Inter-County Leader.

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY